Phonics Is Phun – Summer
2nd - 4th Grade
Phonics is Phun in August
This multi-sensory class is for students entering 2nd, 3rd, or 4th grade. Learn phonics, spelling and syllabication rules. Apply phonics to reading, writing and spelling. Instruction based on the Wilson Language Program. One week sessions are listed below. Maximum – 5 students. Tuition: $225. A nonrefundable registration fee/deposit of $50 will apply toward materials fee.
The goals of this workshop are:
- Increase phonological awareness through blending and segmentation of sounds, syllable splitting and phoneme manipulation. All of these are necessary components for success in reading.
- Improve decoding and stop the guessing habit. Students will learn the 6 syllable types in the English language and rules of how to divide multisyllabic words.
- Improve spelling by exploring sound options and using phonics rules. A daily visual drill, auditory drill and blending drill improve spelling and decoding.
- Improve reading through practice in applying phonics rules to a text. Games and other activities will provide a fun way to practice.
- Improve writing through sentence dictation and activities designed to apply spelling rules in writing.
Schedule at Zion Lutheran Church
- July 28-Aug. 1, one week workshop – 2:45-4:15 p.m.
Schedule at Grace United Methodist Church
- July 28-Aug. 1, one week workshop – 10:45-12:15
Click here for our Phonics is Phun 2013 Summer Flyer
Interested in other classes? Click below.
How to Register –To register, download a summer registration form for elementary (Gr. K-5) students and mail with a $50 nonrefundable deposit for each class for which you register. Deposit applies toward materials fee. You will receive a written confirmation the first week of June.